William Green Adams
and Mary "Polly" Webb
William Green Adams b 21 Jan 1820 Jellico River, Whitley Co, KY d 29 Jun 1862 Wise Co VA; s/o William Green "Billy Grit" Adams and Mary Ann "Polly" Adams. William Green Adams m. 25 Apr 1840 Hazard, Perry Co KY to Mary "Polly" Webb b 14 Mar 1818 Floyd Co KY d Feb 1890 Mayking, Letcher Co KY; d/o Benjamin Webb and Jane "Jennie" Adams. William Green Adams was one of Letcher County's foremost farmers and a miller as well as an elder of the Baptist church. When the Civil War broke out, he was commissioned a captain in the Union Army. However, he was shot by snipers and killed on June 29, 1862, on Pound River in Wise County, VA. (1850 Letcher Co KY Census and 1860 Letcher Co KY Census). Children of William Green Adams and Mary "Polly" Webb;
1. Benjamin F Adams b 4 Jul 1840; m. Susannah Holbrook b 1834 Perry Co KY; d/o William B Holbrook and Sarah "Sally" Adams.
2. Sarah Adams b 7 May 1850
3. Lettie Jane Adams b 23 Jan 1853 Letcher Co KY d 8 Sept 1883 buried Thornton Cemetery, Letcher Co KY; m. 20 Mar 1873 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY to Archelous Hammonds b 19 May 1856 d 22 Oct 1910 Knott Co KY; buried Hale Cemetery, Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; s/o Ephraim Thomas Hammonds and Drucilla Craft.
4. Mary Ellen Adams b 11 Aug 1854 Letcher Co KY d Apr 1889; buried Webb Cemetery Mayking, Letcher Co KY; m. Rev Willis Kirk Collier b 23 Jul 1859 d 8 May 1943; buried Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY; s/o William D Collier and Rebecca Meade.
5. Miles Mayo Adams b 18 Jul 1855 d 21 Sept 1903 Thornton, Letcher Co KY of accidental arsenic poisoning when he mistook arsenic for his medicine and drank it and died a few hours after drinking it at age 48 years; m. 12 Sept 1878 Letcher Co KY to Drusilla Craft b 19 Dec 1860 Letcher Co KY d 4 Jul 1942 Letcher Co KY; d/o Nelson Robert Nelt Craft and Elizabeth Catherine Reynolds. Drusilla Craft m. 22 Apr 1905 Letcher Co KY to Joseph Leonard Hall b 29 Mar 1865 Shelby Creek, Pike Co KY d 20 Oct 1928 of a gunshot wound, officially reported as self-inflicted, 20 Oct 1928 Letcher Co KY; Joseph Left a suicide note for his son describing the manner and reason for his suicide; buried Chunk Craft Cemetery, Millstone, Letcher Co KY; Findagrave Memorial; s/o Enoch Mahlon Hall and Nancy Hampton.
6. Simpson Evans Adams b 29 Oct 1857 Letcher Co KY d 6 Apr 1935; buried Webb Cemetery, Mayking, Letcher Co KY; m. 23 Feb 1880 Letcher Co KY to Sarah Webb b 20 Jan 1863 Bottom Fork, Letcher Co KY d 8 Mar 1942 Letcher Co KY; buried Webb Cemetery, Mayking, Letcher Co KY; d/o Edward T Webb and Elizabeth Elizabeth "Betty" Adams.