James Dixon and
(Elder) James Dixon (aka Dickson) b 11 Dec 1824 Perry Co (now Letcher) KY d 14 Feb 1914 Lower Rockhouse, Letcher Co KY; s/o Thomas S Dixon and Susannah Profitt. Elder James Dixon m. about 1844 to Susannah Caudill b 18 Apr 1825 Letcher Co KY d 26 Sept 1898; d/o William Billy Caudill
and Nancy Craft. (1850 Letcher Co KY Census and 1860 Letcher Co KY Census). Children of (Elder) James Dixon and Susannah Caudill;
1. John Westly Dixon (aka Wesley) b 23 Oct 1845 Elk Creek, Letcher Co KY d 2 Apr 1902 buried Elder James Dickson Cemetery, Elk Creek, Letcher Co KY; m. 14 May 1868 to (1) Phoebe Caudill b about 1852 d 11 Apr 1887 or 1888; d/o Isom Caudill and Lizzie Back. John Westley Dixon m. about 1889 to (2) Rachel Eldridge b 15 Oct 1853 Letcher Co KY d 20 Mar 1947 Blackey, Letcher Co KY; buried Elder James Dickson Cemetery, Elk Creek, Letcher Co KY.
2. Nancy Dixon b 1 Jun 1847 Elk Creek, Letcher Co KY d 16 Jun 1933 Elk Creek, Letcher Co KY; m. 6 Sept 1875 to David Back b21 Apr 1837 Harlan Co KY d 21 Jan 1925 Elk Creek, Letcher Co KY. David was a farmer and a blacksmith.
3. James C Dixon b 17 Jul 1849 Elk Creek, Letcher Co KY d 26 Aug 1927 Blackey, Letcher Co KY; m. Sarah Stacy b 10 Mar 1854 Carrs Fork, Perry Co KY d 15 Nov 1922 Blackey, Letcher Co KY; d/o Shadrack Stacy and Sarah "Sally" Combs.
4. Thomas A Dixon b 7 Sept 1851 Letcher Co KY d 27 Feb 1931 Letcher Co KY; m. 9 Sept 1872 Letcher Co KY to Frances "Fanny" Caudill b 2 Apr 1853 Letcher Co KY d 24 Oct 1921 Letcher Co KY; d/o Isom H Caudill and
5. William J Dixon b 27 Nov 1853 Letcher Co KY d 25 Mar 1934; m. 12 Feb 1874 to Margaret Peggy Whitaker b 10 Apr 1856 Letcher Co KY d 5 Sept 1920 Letcher Co KY.
6. Jeremiah P Dixon b 22 Jan 1856 d 7 Aug 1932 buried Dixon Cemetery, Letcher Co KY; m. 3 Oct 1882 Letcher Co KY to (1) Nancy Caudill b 20 Mar 1859 d 6 Sept 1918. Jeremiah P Dixon m. 17 Jan 1921 to (2) Mary Caudill b 5 Dec 1881 d 29 Nov 1930; buried Dixon Cemetery, Letcher Co KY.
7. Sarah Ann Dixon b 22 Jan 1858 Elk Creek, Letcher Co KY d Nov 1927 OK; m. 19 Mar 1879 to (1) James M Whitaker b about 1860 d about 1940. Sarah Ann Dixon m. 18 Nov 1885 to (2) Preston A Hensley b 15 May 1867 d 26 Mar 1956 OK.
8. Lucinda Dixon b 12 Mar 1861 d 7 Jul 1945; m. 11 Aug 1906 to Bert Henry Hall b 12 Mar 1861 d 7 Aug 1942.
9. Isaac T Dixon b 26 Jun 1863 Letcher Co KY d 9 Feb 1944 Proctor TX; m. 22 Nov 1886 to (1) Mary Loretta Shaver b 4 Jun 1863 Sevier Co AK d 10 Jan 1934 Proctor TX. Isaac T Dixon m. after 1897 to (2) Bell Lewis.
10. Wilburn H Dixon b 7 May 1866 Letcher Co KY d 20 Aug 1969 Blackey, Letcher Co KY; buried Dixon Cemetery, Carcassonne, Letcher County, KY; m. 21 May 1887 Perry Co KY to (1) Louisa Cornett b 11 Jun 1859 Perry Co KY d 18 Feb 1931 Blackey, Letcher Co KY. Wilburn H Dixon m. 3 Jun 1934 to (2) Sarah Caudill b 7 Sept 1872 d 31 Aug 1957; buried Dixon Cemetery, Carcassonne, Letcher County, KY.
11. Mary Ann Dixon b 7 Sept 1867 d 4 Jan 1868.
12. Henry C Dixon b 2 Nov 1869 d 21 May 1954; m. 22 Mar 1900 to Nellie Whitaker b 10 Jan 1877 d 11 Sept 1937.
Obituary: Wilburn H. Dixon
7 May 1866 - 20 Aug 1959
The following obituary is from the minutes of the September 1960, 65th Annual Session, of the Indian Bottom Association of Old Regular Baptists: Wilburn H Dixon: It's with a sad heart and a lonesome feeling that I will try to write an obituary of my dear dad, Wilburn H. Dixon. He was the son of Elder James and Susanna Dixon. He was born May 7, 1866 and deceased this life August 20, 1959, age 93 years, three months, and 13 days. He was married to Louisa Cornett on May 21, 1887, and to this union were born seven children, four girls and three boys: Anna Caudill, Catherine Hampton, Artie Caudill, Arminta Campbill, (sic) and Oscar (now deceased), Dave and Arch Dixon. Mother preceded dad in death February 8, 1931. He later married Sarah Caudill, and she preceded him in death two years. He joined the Old Regular Baptist church the first Saturday in August, 1937. He had his membership with the James Memorial Church, and was a true and faithful member as long as he lived. We feel our loss is heaven's gain. Written by his heartbroken daughter.
Notes: Isaac T. Dixon: b 26 Jun 1863
Isaac and his first wife are buried side by side in the city Cemetery at Proctor, TX. Isaac was 19 when he left Kentucky for Arkansas. When his youngest child of 5 was a year old, the family moved by wagon to settle in Baggett, TX. After 3 years in Baggett, they moved to Proctor, TX. Isaac was one of the pioneer mail carriers in Comanche County, TX, starting on Proctor route 1, September 1, 1910. He used a horse drawn vehicle until about one year before he retired as a carrier in 1932. Before moving to Texas, Isaac taught school for four years in Arkansas. He joined the Baptist Church in Baggett in 1889, later moving his membership to Proctor, TX. Isaac last visited Kentucky in the summer of 1940. His second wife, Mrs. Bell Lewis, was a former close friend and neighbor in Arkansas.
More about Elder James Dickson:
The Following From
the "Dixon Book" (RE), Page 73
James Dickson was born in Perry County (now Letcher County), Kentucky. He reared his family on Elk Creek near what is now Blackey, Letcher County, Kentucky. He was a farmer and a large land owner. He was a leader in the Old Baptist faith and order. James Dickson joined the Indian Bottom Baptist Church (later called Old Regular Baptist) September 1849 and was ordained a minister January 1851. The ordination is as follows:
Brother James Dickson ordained a minister in the Indian Bottom Regular Baptist Church, first Saturday in January 1851.
Presbytery consisting of the following:
To-wit: Elder John A. Caudill, Moderator -- Sandlick Church
Elder David Maggard -- Oven Fork Church
Elder Jordan Ashley -- Old Carr Fork Church
Bro. Henry Pratt, Clerk
Elder James Dickson was Moderator of the New Salem Association of Old Regular Baptist for five years, 1869 through 1873 and was Moderator of the Indian Bottom Association of Old Regular Baptist for the years 1897 and 1904. He was Moderator of the Indian Bottom Church from 1875 until his death in 1914, he was also Moderator of many other churches. He preached for 64 years covering Eastern Kentucky and Western Virginia and the only mode of travel was walk or ride a horse.
1870 Letcher Co KY Census Precinct 5
24 24 Dixon 45 M W Farmer 600 432 KY
24 24 Dixon Susan 45 F W Keeping House KY
24 24 Dixon James 20 M W KY At school
24 24 Dixon Nancy 22 F W KY Can't write
24 24 Dixon Thomas 17 M W KY At School
24 24 Dixon William 16 M W KY At school Can't write
24 24 Dixon Jeremiah 14 M W KY At school Can't write
24 24 Dixon Sarah 12 F W KY At school Can't write
24 24 Dixon Lucinda 11 F W KY At school Can't read/write
24 24 Dixon Isaac 7 M W KY
24 24 Dixon Wilborn 5 M W KY
24 24 Dixon Henry 7/12 M W KY Nov
25 25 Dixon Thomas 75 M W Farmer 600 150 NC Can't read/write
25 25 Dixon Sarah F W Keeping House KY Can't read/write
25 25 Caudill William 20 M W KY At school
26 26 Dixon Jeremiah 44 M W Farmer 200 250 KY Can't write
26 26 Dixon Pheba 37 F W Keeping House Ky Can't read/write
26 26 Dixon James 17 M W KY At school
26 26 Dixon Susanah 3 F W KY
26 26 Dixon Lucinda 5 F W KY
26 26 Dixon Stephen 11/12 M W KY July