John Samuel Hall
and Karenhappick Yonts
John Samuel Big John Hall b 1819 d 25 Feb 1909 Mingo WV; s/o Jonathan Hall and Susannah Elliott. John Samuel Big John Hall m. 11 Sept 1845 Letcher Co KY to Karenhappick Yonts b 5 Jan 1833 Floyd Co KY d 28 Jul 1914 Baker, Letcher Co KY; age 81; d/o William Yonts and Levisa McCray. Children of John Samuel Big John Hall and Karenhappick Yonts;
1. Levina Hall b 1846 Floyd Co KY
2. Reuben Hall b 1848 Letcher Co KY d 11 Mar 1852 Letcher Co KY abt age 4 years
3. Lewis L Hall b 6 May 1851 Rockhouse Creek, Letcher Co KY d 31 Mar 1929 Henlawson, Logan Co WV; age 77; buried Big Branch, Logan Co WV; m. 19 Apr 1866 Letcher Co KY to (1) Elizabeth Quillen b 1850 Letcher Co KY d 1893 Letcher Co KY; d/o William Quillen and Nancy Susannah Yonts.
Lewis Hall m. (2) Margaret Bates. Lewis L Hall m. (3) to Emma Meade. Lewis L Hall m. (4) to Fannie Davis. Lewis L Hall m. (5) to Tamsey Ellen Neece. Lewis L Hall m. (6) to Cat Justice.
4. Jonathan Hall b 22 Dec 1855 Letcher Co KY; m. 1874 Letcher Co KY to Mary Meade b 2 Nov 1855 Letcher Co KY; d/o Robert C Meade and Sarah Collier. Children of Jonathan Hall and Mary Meade; i. John Henry Hall b 1875 d 1961; m. Estella B Davis ii. Robert Hall b 1877 Letcher Co KY d 23 Oct 1953 Mingo Co WV; m. Luanna Yonts iii. William M Hall b 1879 Letcher Co KY
5. Elijah Hall b 1858 d 29 Dec 1941; m. 1876 Letcher Co KY to Nancy Meade b 18 Mar 1860 Millstone, Letcher Co KY d 20 May 1925; d/o Robert C Meade and Sarah Collier. Children of Elijah Hall and Nancy Meade;
i. Robert Hall b 1870 d 1957; m. (1) to Eliza Jane Bentley. Robert Hlal m. (2) Annie Mullins
ii. Andrew Hall b 1877 d in infancy
iii. Jonathan Hall b 1882 d 14 Jul 1914; buried Millstone, Letcher Co KY; m. Savannah Bentley
iv. Tilitha Hall b 15 Mar 1889 d 7 Dec 1969 Letcher Co KY; m. (1) to Robert M Meade. Tilitha Hall m. (2) Jeff Bentley. Tilitha Hall m. (3) Morgan Tilman Reynolds.
v. Eveline Hall b 16 Feb 1891 Letcher Co KY d 15 May 1965; m. Charles Yonts.
vi. Nancy E Hall b 1893 d 1921; m. (1) to Noah Hall. Nancy E Hall m. (2) Randall Holbrook
vii. Levy Hall b 2 Jun 1894 d 10 Mar 1984; m. (1) to Melvin Holbrook. Levy Hall m. (2) Edward Collins.
viii. Virgie Hall b 1897 d 1911; abt 14 years.
ix. William Hall b 2 Jul 1901 d 17 Dec 1967 Letcher Co KY; m. (1) to Lou Emma Blair. William Hall m. (2) Fairy Belle Yonts.
6. Robert Hall b 1860; m. Clarinda Hall b 20 Oct 1861 Letcher Co KY d 24 Aug 1937 Letcher Co KY; d/o John William Hall and Margaret Peggy Keene. Children of Robert Hall and Clarinda Hall;
i. America Hall b 25 Nov 1878 Deane, Letcher Co KY d 26 Jan 1972 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. 1897 Floyd Co KY to Noah Bentley b 1874 Floyd Co KY d 5 Jul 1951 Letcher Co KY; s/o Martin Elijah Bentley and Lydia Smith.
ii. Thomas Hall b 16 Aug 1881 Letcher Co KY d 11 Sept 1931 Pike Co KY; buried Speight, Pike Co KY; m. (1) to Nancy Bell Johnson. Thomas Hall m. (2) Millie Hun Johnson. Thomas Hall m. (3) Elvira Burke.
iii. George Hall b 1888 Letcher Co KY d 1900 Letcher Co KY
7. William Hall b 1862; m. Mahulda Ooten
8. Elizabeth Hall b 3 May 1878 Deane, Letcher Co KY d 15 Nov 1972 Mayking, Letcher Co KY; m. (1) to George Warden. Elizabeth Hall m. (2) William R Stewart. Elizabeth Hall m. (3) Greenville Meade.
John Samuel Big John Hall
and Rachel Meade
John Samuel Big John Hall b 1819 d 25 Feb 1909 Mingo WV; s/o Jonathan Hall and Susannah Elliott. John Samuel Big John Hall m. 15 Dec 1868 Letcher Co KY to Rachel Meade b 1851 Floyd Co KY d 1945 Letcher Co KY; d/o Thomas K Meade and Mary Hall. Children of John Samuel Big John Hall and Rachel Meade;
1. Manerva Hall b 12 Mar 1867 Letcher Co KY d 27 Aug 1947 Letcher Co KY; m. (1) to William Jasper Hall. Manerva Hall m. (2) Kidd Hall.
2. Leander Ashland Hall b 6 Sept 1867 Letcher Co KY d 10 Mar 1949 Mingo Co WV; m. Nancy Jane White. Obituary of Leander Ashland Hall: "L. A. Hall, 82, Retired Farmer of Ragland, Dies: Leander Ashland Hall, 82, retired farmer and timberman of Ragland, died at 10:40 a.m. Thursday at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Boyd Curry, of Ragland. Death was attributed to infirmities of age. Mr. Hall had resided at Ragland for the past 65 years, and had been a member of the Regular Baptist church for more than 50 years. A native of Letcher county, Ky., he was born Sept. 6, 1866, a son of John and Rachel (Meade) Hall. He was married to Nancy Jane White 64 years ago at Myrtle, and she preceded him in death. Survivors include two sons, John Lee and William E. Hall, and three daughters, Mrs. Susan Duty, Mrs. Rachel Curry and Mrs. Betty Mahon, all of Ragland: three brothers, Squire, Lance and Bud Hall, all of Letcher county; and two sisters, Mrs. Betty Hall of Letcher county, and Mrs. Mary Collier of Bias, W. Va. Graveside services will be conducted from the Duty cemetery at Ragland tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock. The Rev. Wallace Maynard will officiate. The Hale Funeral Home of Delbarton is in charge of arrangements."?, 81 years, death cause: of acute congestive heart failure
3. Marion Hall b 1869 Letcher Co KY d 1 Aug 1914 Rockhouse Creek, Letcher Co KY as a result of a gun fight during school trustee election; m. Maxaline Hall.
Election of Trustee by Kentucky Community Causes Pitched Battle: Whitesburg, Ky., Aug. 2, 1914: As a result of trouble growing out of the election of a school trustee on the headwaters of Rockhouse Creek, in this county, a desperate pitched battle was fought yesterday evening between members of the HALL and QUILLEN families, in which four were killed. The dead are ALBERT HALL, ELCE HALL, MARION HALL, AND DUG (Dunk) QUILLEN. LANCE HALL and MRS. ALBERT HALL were seriously wounded.
4. Esquire Hall b 23 Jan 1873 Letcher Co KY d 1955; m. Mary Hall
5. Mary Hall b 1877 Letcher Co KY d 26 Sept 1962 Williamson, Mingo Co WV; m. (1) John Paul Meade. Mary Hall m. (2) William R Stewart. Mary Hall m. (3) Wilson Hall.
6. Elizabeth Hall (d/o John Samuel Big John Hall and Karenhappick Yonts) b 3 May 1878 Deane, Letcher Co KY d 15 Nov 1972 Mayking, Letcher Co KY; m. (1) to George Warden. Elizabeth Hall m. (2) William R Stewart. Elizabeth Hall m. (3) Greenville Meade.
7. Lance Hall b 1882 d 1955; m. Perlina Meade
8. Albert Hall b 1884 Letcher Co KY d 1 Aug 1914; m. Jane M Isaacs.
9. Emiline Hall b 1888 Letcher Co KY; m. Talt Hall.
10. Bud Hall b 3 May 1890 Letcher Co KY d 28 May 1971 Letcher Co KY; m. Clovea Meade.
Information on this page from Dan Mohn: danmohn.net