John Henry Clay Johnson
and Oma Lee Potter
John Henry Jefferson Clay "J C" Johnson b 10 Apr 1878 (or 8 Apr 1878) Pike Co KY d 7 May 1948, buried Hemphill Cemetery, Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY; s/o Winfield Scott Johnson and Sarah Ann Lovene Fleming (aka Lovina). John Henry Jefferson Clay Johnson m. 25 Aug 1896 to Oma Lee Potter b 8 Feb 1880 (or 8 Mar 1880) Little Elkhorn, Pike Co KY d 26 Aug 1963 Letcher Co KY; d/o Isaac Potter 1839 and Elizabeth Emeline Bentley. Findagrave 145234534. Children of John Henry Jefferson Clay "JC" Johnson and Oma Lee Potter;
John Henry Clay JC Johnson
John Henry Clay JC Johnson, Opal Land Johnson and Oma Potter Johnson
John Henry Jefferson Clay Johnson WWII Draft Registration, Page 1, 27 Apr 1942
John Henry Jefferson Clay Johnson WWII Draft Registration, Page 2, 27 Apr 1942
1. Mander Johnson b 6 Sept 1897 Pike Co KY d 17 Jul 1917; m. Pearlie Quillen b 1901.
2. Bessie Johnson b 4 Jan 1899; m. (1) Walter Buchanan b 1895. Bessie Johnson m. (2) John Columbus "Lum" Laxton (aka Luxton) b 1895 d about 1928. Bessie Johnson m. (3) Estill Lykins b 1895.
3. Bertha Gay Johnson b 8 Mar 1902 KY d Sept 1917 KY.
4. Levi Franklin "Frank" Johnson b 28 Feb 1904; m. about 1923 to Osa "Ossie" Bartley b about 1902 KY; d/o John Henry Bartley and Sophia Bowling Bolling. Osa "Ossie" Bartley m. (2) Bill Damron b about 1896. Osa "Ossie" Bartley m. (3) Charles Cleveland. Osa "Ossie" Bartley m. about 1916 to (4) Blucher Kiser.
5. Morgan Festus "Morg" Johnson b 8 Apr 1906 Letcher Co KY d 8 Mar 1980 Lorain OH; occupation 1940; Mine Foreman Coal Mines; m. 26 Dec 1925 Letcher Co KY to Mary "Baby" Houston b abt 1912 KY; d/o Olvin Houston and Susan Wright. Children of Morgan Festus Morg Johnson and Mary Baby Houston;
i. Henry Johnson b abt 1928 KY
ii. Lay Ruth Johnson b abt 1929 KY
iii. Charles Johnson b abt 1930 KY
iv. Beril Johnson b abt 1932 KY
v. Connie W Johnson b abt 1935 KY
6. James Conway Johnson b 7 May 1908 d 1917.
7. Rozzie Emeline Johnson b 30 Jan 1910 Pike Co KY d 12 Dec 1999 Taylor, Wayne Co MI; m. 9 Oct 1926 Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY to James Henry "Jim" Quillen b 19 Feb 1905 Pike Co KY d 1 Feb 1976, Taylor, Wayne Co MI; s/o John Quillen and Victoria "Torrie" Tackett. (Source).
8. Ellis Geodeckie "Gad" Johnson b 3 Sep 1913 Neon, Letcher Co, KY d 21 Dec 1991 Appalachian Regional Hospital at Whitesburg, KY; buried Johnson Family Cemetery, Grassy Fork, Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY; occupation, 1940, Mine pumper, coal mines: m. (1) to Anna Leona Perry b 6 Jul 1915 Dickenson Co, VA d 22 Nov 1980 St Joseph Hospital at Lexington, Fayette Co KY. Ellis Goedeckie "Gad" Johnson m. 7 Apr 1937 Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY to (2) Wilma Dean Ransom (aka Willa) b 21 Jun 1916 Mont Lake, TN d 24 Jan 1995 en route to Appalachian Regional Hospital at Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; d/o Harry Ransom and Pearl Barzell. Children of Ellis Goedeckie Gad Johnson and Wilma Dean Ransom;
i. Jessie Lee Johnson (f) b abt 1933 KY
ii. Harry Johnson b abt 1938 KY
9. Elihu "Elishie" Pendleton Johnson b 18 Jan 1916 d 21 Jul 1917.
10. Daniel Van Johnson b 5 Jul 1918 d 2 Jul 2007; buried 5 Jul 2007 Hemphill Cemetery, Hemphill, Letcher Co KY; occupation 1940, coal loader, coal miner; m. Opal Oneida Land b abt 1920 KY; d/o Jessie Land and Lou Brown. In 1940, Daniels mother and father were both living with him. His father was 62 and his mom listed as Leoma was 60.
11. Nettie Hazel Johnson b 18 Sept 1920; m. (1) to Moses Fox b abt 1914 KY. Child of Mose Fox and Nettie Hazel Johnson; i. Dennis M Fox b abt 1939 KY. Nettie Hazel Johnson m. (2) to Clyde Hall.
Thanks to Hazel Potter Thompson, Danny Quillen, Jerry Quillen and Karen Mullins for submitting information for this family
Obituary: John Henry Johnson
10 Apr 1878 - 7 May 1948
Mt Eagle Newspaper, 13 May 1948
John Henry Johnson of Jackhorn, passed from this life on Friday morning May 7, 1948 at his home. He had been in reclining health for the past three years but able to be up and about. He arose early on Friday morning to help do the chores about the home when he suffered a light stroke of paralysis. He died shortly afterwards.
He was the son of the late Scott and Lovene Fleming Johnson and was borned on April 10th 1878 being 70 years and 27 days of age at his death.
He was married to Leona Potter Johnson. He leaves to mourn his loss his wife, four sons Frank of Dunham, Morgan and Daniel of Jackhorn, and Gad of Seco. Three daughters, Mrs. Bessie Buchanan of Midway, W.Va., Mrs. Rosa Quillen of Jackhorn and Mrs. Nettie Fox, of Jackhorn two sisters, Mrs. A. L. Johnson of Jackhorn, and Mrs. Clarissa Francis of Blue Diamond, and two brothers: Clark Johnson of Splight, Ky., and Mander Johnson of Virgie, and a host of relatives and friends.
He had been a member of the Church of Christ of Hemphill, for 40 years and lived a devoted christian life. He put Christ first in his life and reared his family, teaching them the ways of a good and righteous life. He was a wonderful father a good husband and a fine neighbor. His sudden death has been a sad shock to his loved ones.
Funeral services were held at the Church of Christ, Hemphill on Sunday May 9th, with Revs. Noah Bentley and Roy Hill officiating at 2:00 P.M. O'clock.
Burial in the family plot of the Hemphill Cemetery. Craft Funeral Home in charge of funeral arrangements.
Obituary: Oma Lee Potter Johnson
Mrs. Oma Johnson of Jackhorn dies.
Funeral services were conducted Aug. 29 1963 for Mrs. Oma Johnson, 83, who died Aug. 26 1963 at Whitesburg Memorial Hospital.
8 Mar 1880 - 25 Aug 1963
Mt Eagle Newspaper, 5 Sept 1963
Mrs. Johnson had made her home for the past 25 years with her youngest son, Daniel Johnson, at Jackhorn.
The funeral was held at the Hemphill Church of Christ, of which she was a member. The Rev. Bill Browning officiated. Burial was in Hemphill Cemetery.
Mrs. Johnson had been in ill health for the past few years, and had been seriously ill for a year. She suffered a heart attack Aug. 16.
She was the daughter of Isaac and Emmaline Bentley Potter. She was married in 1896 to John Henry Johnson, who died 15 years ago.
Mrs. Johnson was the last surviving member of her family. (Siblings)
Seven of her 11 children survive her. They are Daniel Johnson, Gad Johnson, Morgan Johnson and Mrs. Rozzie Quillen, all of Jackhorn; Frank Johnson of Dunham; Mrs. Bessie Huler, LaPorte, Ind., and Mrs. Nettie Hall, Flat. Rock, Mich.
Also surviving are 57 grandchildren; 97 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren.
Pallbearers were her grandsons, E. G. Quillen, John L. Johnson, Ray Johnson, Connie Johnson, Danny Johnson, Thomas Laxton, Harry Johnson, Daniel V. Johnson Jr., Beryl Johnson, Francis Quillen, Feryl Johnson and Steve Fox.
1910 Letcher Co KY Census Millstone ED 145
78 78 Johnson John H Head M W 32 M1 13 KY KY KY Farmer General Farm
78 78 Johnson Oma Wife F W 30 M1 13 6 6 KY KY KY Farm Laborer Home Farm
78 78 Johnson Mander Son M W 12 S KY KY KY Farm Laborer Home Farm
78 78 Johnson Bessie Daughter F W 10 S KY KY KY Farm Laborer Home Farm
78 78 Johnson Bertha Daughter F W 8 S KY KY KY
78 78 Johnson Frank Son M W 6 S KY KY KY
78 78 Johnson Morgan Son M W 4 S KY KY KY
78 78 Johnson James Son M W 2 S KY KY KY