Benjamin F Potter
and Frona Amburgey
Benjamin F Potter b 20 Jul 1902 d 23 Jul 1952 (dc states dod 3 Aug 1952) Fleming Hospital, Fleming, Letcher Co KY; age 50 years; of stroke cerebral hemorrhage and hypertensive heart disease; physician at death, R D Collins, MD; buried Bates Cemetery, Colson, (Democrat), Letcher Co KY; s/o Levi Frank Potter and Hannah Hall. Occupation, Miner. Benjamin Potter m. Frona Amburgey b 26 Jan 1905 d 7 May 1956; d/o John S Amburgey and Maggie Fry. Children of Benjamin Potter and Frona Amburgey;
1. Ira Lee Potter b 8 Sept 1924; m. Mary Anderson b 14 Aug 1922; d/o Harrison Anderson and Maggie Pigman. Ira Lee Potter m. Lucy Potter b 31 Jun 1921 d 23 May 2008; buried Potter Family Cemetery, Fleming, Letcher Co KY; d/o McKinley Potter and Dora Mullins. Lucy Potter m. (1) to Jerry Sexton b 8 Sept 1924. Ira Lee Potter m. Arlee Adams. Lucy Potter m. Lenville "Bow" Fleming b 12 May 1922 Etty, Pike Co KY d 13 Jan 1997; s/o Bloomer John Fleming and Bessie Ellen Stewart. Lenville Bow Fleming m. 7 Nov 1945 to Cleo Fields b 16 Aug 1921. Our heartfelt condolences go out to his family for their loss of Lucy Potter on May 23 2008.
2. Myrtle Potter b 9 May 1925 Knott Co KY d 16 Jul 1947 of pulmonary tuberculosis; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery, Letcher Co KY; m. Clyde Potter b 23 May 1925 d 25 Jan 1955; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery, Hemphill, Letcher Co KY; s/o William Sherman Potter and Augie Reynolds. Clyde Potter m. Emma Strange; d/o Robert Lee Strange and Winnie Mullins.
3. Linville Potter (aka Lenville) b 10 Oct 1926 KY d 19 Jul 1951 (5:30 pm) Democrat, Letcher Co KY; accidentally run over and crushed by a train; age 24 years; buried Bates Cemetery, Colson KY. Occupation, miner; military service WWII
4. George Potter b abt 1932 Letcher Co KY; m. Brenda Unknown. Children of George Potter and Brenda Unknown;
i. Fabian Potter
ii. Dianne Potter
5. Ben Ceford Potter Sr b about 25 Aug 1934 Whitesburg, KY d 3 Feb 2008, FL; buried Potter - Bates Cemetery, Whitesburg, KY; m. Christine Unknown. Ben Ceford Potter m. 19 Jun 1979 to Gloria Gehring.
6. Burnes Furl Potter b 20 Dec 1936 d 1 Jan 2018; age 81; buried Bates Cemetery, Colson, KY; m. Bonnie Miles. Children of Burnes Furl Potter and Bonnie Miles; i. Jasper Gross ii. Glen Gross iii. Danny Dean Gross
7. Hargis Potter b 14 Dec 1938 Knott Co KY; m. (1) to Mary Lou Hogg. Hargis Potter m. (2) to Shirley Unknown.
8. William Ray Potter b 24 Mar 1941 Jackhorn, KY d 5 Dec 1963 Payne Gap KY; of crushed chest and head in auto wreck went over a bank and hit a tree; Highway, Payne Gap Road; Payne Gap, KY; age 23; buried Bates Cemetery, Colson KY.
9. Everett Potter b 2 Feb 1945 d 4 Jan 2020; age 74 years, 11 months, 2 days; buried Pendleton Cemetery, Cowan KY; m. Daisy Unknown. Children of Everett Potter and Daisy Unknown;
i. Carolyn Potter; m. Male Holbrook
ii. Linda Gail Potter; m. Male Briles
iii. Teresa Gail Potter (deceased)
10. Glen Potter b 29 Dec 1947 d 16 May 2013; Perry Co KY; buried Bates Cemetery, Colson KY; m. Kathy Kincer. Glen Potter m. 9 Jul 1966 to Jeanette Hall; d/o Frank Hall and Lillie Fairchild. Glen Potter m. Sandra Fugate.
Obituary: Everett Potter
2 Feb 1945 - 4 Jan 2020
Everett Potter, son of the late Benjamin F. Potter and Frona Amburgey Potter was born February 2, 1945. He entered eternal life Saturday, January 4, 2020, making his stay on earth 74 years, 11 months, and 2 days. He is survived by his wife Daisy Potter of Campbranch; Two Daughters: Linda Briles of Campbranch; Carolyn Holbrook of Thornton; Three Grandchildren: Joshua Lowe of Campbranch; John Holbrook of Thornton; Bethany Collins of Jenkins; One Great Grandson: Jace Holbrook of Thornton; One brother: George Potter of Campbranch.
2 Feb 1945 - 4 Jan 2020
Everett was preceded in death by One Daughter: Teresa Gail Potter; 8 Brothers: Ira Potter, John Potter, Hargis Potter, Linville Potter, Ben Potter, Ray Potter, Ferl Potter, Glenn Potter; One Sister: Myrtle Potter. Funeral 11:00 A.M. Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at the Letcher Funeral Home Chapel. Visitation 6-9 P.M. Tuesday January 7, 2020 at the Letcher Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Pendleton Cemetery at Cowan.
Mt Eagle 5 Dec 1963
Wreck Fatal to
Two on Payne Gap Road
William Ray Potter 22
Driver of the Car
Two Letcher County residents died about 1:30 a. m. today as the result of an automobile accident on the Payne Gap - Jenkins road. State Trooper Tom Wright identified them as William Ray Potter, 22, driver of the car, and Rosa Linda Hensley, 12. Potter lived at Colson, the girl at Little Colly. The child's mother, Mrs. Arlene Conner, 28, was seriously injured. Mack Conner, 9, son of Mrs. Conner, also was hurt. Both are hospitalized at Jenkins. Wright said the car, driven by Potter, apparently was going too fast to make a curve at the point where the new portion of the road narrows to join the older two-lane portion. The vehicle left the road and struck a tree on the driver's side, Wright said. The little girl was riding in the back seat behind Potter. Wright said the crash sheared the top and side off the car.
"I had to look hard to see what make car it was," he said. Walter Hall, who lives near the scene of the accident, was the first to reach the victims. Jenkins City Police were called to the scene and they in turn called Wright. Witnesses said the girl died instantly. Potter died a few minutes after the crash, they said. Both were thrown from the car. Wright said pieces of the auto were still welded to the tree which it struck. Funeral services for Potter are scheduled Saturday afternoon. He was a son of Mrs. Frances Amburgey Potter and the late Ben Potter. He is survived by his mother and seven brothers and sisters. Funeral arrangements for the child were incomplete awaiting improvement in her mother's condition. Both victims were taken to the Moore and Craft Funeral Home.
Obituary: Burnes Furl Potter
20 Dec 1936 - 1 Jan 2018
Burnes "Furl" Potter, 82, of Thornton passed away Sunday, January 1, 2018 at his residence. Furl was the son of the late Ben and Frona Amburgey Potter. Surviving is his wife: Bonnie Miles Potter; 2 sons: Jasper Gross and Glen Gross; 1 daughter-in-law: Mendy Gross; 2 brothers: George Potter and Everett Potter both of Pistol City; 3 grandchildren: Christopher, Amanda, and Evan.
Bonnie Miles and Burnes Furl Potter
Furl was preceded in death by 1 son: Danny Dean Gross; 6 brothers: Linville, Ray, Lee, Cephord, Hargus, and Glen. Funeral: 12:00 O'clock Noon, January 3, 2018 at the Lighthouse Church with Glen Gross and members of the Church officiating. Visitation: 5:00 P.M. Monday at the Lighthouse Church. Burial will follow in the Bates Cemetery at Colson, Kentucky.