Frederick Franklin Riddle
and Margaret Johnson
Frederick Franklin Riddle b abt 1842 NC d 10 Dec 1922; s/o Isham Riddleand Sarah Unknown. Frederick Franklin Riddlem. abt 1860 to Margaret Johnson b 20 Nov 1835 Pike Co KY d 1904 Pike Co KY; buried RiddleCemetery, RiddleFork, Pike Co KY; d/o William Varner Johnson and Matilda Mullins. Children of Frederick Franklin Riddleand Margaret Johnson;
1. Sarah Riddle b 1862
2. James Isom Riddle b 1864 d 15 Apr 1942; m. 24 Dec 1905 to Jennie Hatfield b abt 1882 d 8 Dec 1971; d/o Tolbert Hatfield and Martha Ferrell. Children of James Isom Riddle and Jennie Hatfield; i. Don Riddle ii. Cordie Alice Riddle b 12 Nov 1909 d 16 Aug 1983
3. William George Washington Riddle b 10 Oct 1865 d 19 Jan 1934; m. 8 Jan 1891 to Parlee Rutherford. Children of William George Washington Riddle and Parlee Rutherford; i. Hatler Riddle b 15 Oct 1891 ii. Bertel "Bert" Riddle b 9 Feb 1893 iii. Emmet Riddle b 11 Nov 1894 iv. Pearl Riddle b 18 Apr 1896 v. Eula Riddle b 27 Apr 1898 vi. Bernard Riddle b 15 Oct 1900 vii. Emerson Riddle b 3 Sep 1902 viii. Ernest Riddle b 4 Mar 1904 ix. Cullen Riddle b 25 Jul 1908 x. Lassie Riddle b 10 Oct 1909
4. Jefferson F Riddle b 12 Apr 1869 d 19 Oct 1904; m. Armina Hall b 14 Sept 1869 d 17 Mar 1937. Children of Jefferson F Riddle and Armina Hall; i. Dora Riddle b 18 Mar 1886 d 17 Jul 1970; m. (1) Adam Osborne. Child of Adam Osborne and Dora Riddle I. Victor Osborne b 26 Apr 1906. Dora Riddle m. (2) Hiram Slone b 18 Oct 1877 d 27 Jan 1964. Child of Hiram Slone and Dora Riddle; I. Jeff Slone b 18 Apr 1909 ii. Willie Riddle b 8 Dec 1892 d 14 Dec 1983; m. Pearl Johnson iii. Isom Riddle b 8 Nov 1894 d 7 Oct 1966; m. 19 Mar 1914 to Nora Ellison b 28 May 1891 d 15 Jan 1927. Children of Isom Riddle and Nora Ellison; I. Noble Riddle b 1 apr 1915 d 12 Nov 1993; m. Female Pence II. Billy Joe Riddle b 9 Jan 1927 d 31 Jul 1979 iv. Lizzie Riddle b 18 Nov 1896 d 31 Jan 1905 v. Willard Riddle b 18 Jun 1898 d 1985 vi. Belva Riddle b 1900 d 1945
5. Solomon Saul Riddle b 1870 d 11 Jan 1924
6. Rebey M Riddle b 1872; m. Jefferson Johnson
7. Tandy M TM Riddle b 1874 d 23 May 1967; m. Bessie Ferrell. Children of Tandy M TM Riddle and Bessie Ferrell;
i. John Paul Riddle b 19 May 1901 Pikeville, Pike Co KY d 6 Apr 1989; m. Adele Goeser; children of John Paul Riddle and Adele Goeser; I. Tandy Riddle II. John Paul Riddle Jr. Adele Goeser; m. (1) to Male Pardee. Children of Male Pardee and Adele Goeser; I. Robert Pardee II. James Strickland Pardee III. Christopher Pardee IV. Adele Pardee; m. Male Cunningham.
Obituary of John Paul Riddle in the New York Times, by Joan Cook, Published April 11, 1989: John Paul Riddle, 87, Aviation Education Leader. By JOAN COOK, Published: April 11, 1989. John Paul Riddle, an early aviator and a leader in the fields of air cargo and aviation education, died after a brief illness Thursday at Cedars Medical Center in Coral Gables, Fla. He was 87 years old and lived in Coral Gables. Mr. Riddle, trained as a pilot in the Army, began his career in aviation education in 1926 at Lunken Airport in Cincinnati, when he and T. Higbee Embry, a stockyard owner, founded the Embry-Riddle Flying School.
The school's first students were pilots for the nation's first package express business. In 1927 the school won one of the first Federal air mail contracts. The company was incorporated two years later as part of the Aviation Corporation of Delaware, later known as AVCO. That company, in turn, gave birth to American Airways, known today as American Airlines.
Mr. Riddle, a native of Pikesville, Ky., went globe-trotting with Howard Hughes and dined with the Prince of Wales.
The partnership with Mr. Embry dissolved, but Mr. Riddle kept the school going and in 1934 the re-formed Embry-Riddle school opened a charter seaplane service in Miami and a new flight school at Miami Municipal Airport.
In World War II, Embry-Riddle operated three schools in Florida and one in Tennessee, training thousands of pilots from the United States and Britain. The school was moved to Daytona Beach in 1965 and renamed Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in 1970. It now has campuses in Daytona Beach and Prescott, Ariz. In 1943 Mr. Riddle opened a technical school of aviation for the Brazilian Air Ministry in Sao Paulo. In 1946 he began training civilians at the Riddle Inter-American Institute. That year, Riddle Airlines, an air cargo carrier, began operation in Miami. He retired in the early 1960's. Mr. Riddle is survived by two children, Tandy of Livingston, Mont., and John Paul Jr. of Los Angeles, and four stepchildren, Robert Pardee and James Strickland Pardee, of Aspen, Colo.; Christopher Pardee of Oxford, England, and Adele P. Cunningham of Winchester, Mass.
Marker for John Paul Riddle erected in Pikeville, Pike Co KY reads on one side: Aviation pioneer, graduated from Pikeville College Academy in 1920. Flew plane under Pikeville's Middle Bridge on July 4 1923.Trained as a pilot in US Army, he and T. Higbee Embry founded the Embry-Riddle Flying School in Cincinnati, 1925. Incorporated four years later as part of AVCO, which later became American Airlines. Over. On the other side of the same Marker is thefollowing: Founded the Embry-Riddle School of Aviation in Miami, Fla. During WWII, trained pilots for U.S. and Britain. Later became Embry-Riddle Aeronautical Univ. Inducted into the Ky. Aviation Hall of Fame and Fla. Aviation Historical Society. Received British Empire award and honorary degrees from Pikeville College & E-R Aeronautical Univ.
ii. Bessie Riddle b 20 Dec 1903 d 12 Jan 1962. Bessie was the Pike Co KY Court Clerk from 1932 until 1962.
8. Lawrence Riddle b 1882 d 10 Jul 1910.
Information on this page from Miriam Smith - email@example.com
Hoping that you will help me clear up some misinformation regarding your site for Frederick Franklin Riddle and Emma B. Taylor. I have researched this family extensively and have documented the following. Fred was married first to Margaret Johnson of Pikeville Kentucky. Lawrence Riddle was the last child born to this union which Fred took with him when he left Margaret. Clarice Riddle was born to Fred Riddle and a Nancy Wright which to my knowledge he never married. I believe she was his married sister in law to a Johnson but have no documentation to prove this fact. However Clarice did state on her social security application that Nancy Wright was her mother and told family members she was left on Fred and Emma's doorstep. She stated Fred was her father but that Emma was not her mother. Family records written by one of Fred's son's which I have in my possession states that when Fred left Kentucky they "knew nothing more of him" but did add that Lawrence was the son of Fred and Margaret. Census also states one additional child born to Margaret that was not residing in the home or named in the census after Fred left Kentucky. Emma Taylor was never associated with the Kline family. This was because of an attorney's attempt to determine her maiden name and the only Emma Taylor in Pikeville was related to the Klines. However Emma Taylor was born and raised next door to Fred's grandparents the East Family in Patrick County Virginia which is where he met then took her to Logan county West Virginia where they raised their family. I have completely ruled out any Kline connection and therefore although it was the fault of the attorney it is relaying total incorrect information to future generations. I have been to the Patrick County area numerous times and found documents that proves there is no Kline connection. If you would please remove the Kline from Emma's information it would please me very much. I want it to accurate. I know this is not your error and I ask that you trust my diligent work. Please make corrections for Lawrence and add him to Fred and Margaret's family and change the mother for Clarissa to Nancy Wright. I have her social security application that proves this is correct. Thanks and if I can be of further assistance please contact me as I will gladly share with family. I do ask that my information is not used for resale as I feel that it belongs to all my family for no charge. If you would like to contact me my number is 7408874576. Thanks Jenny West