Isaac D Whitaker
and Matilda Hogg
Isaac D Whitaker b 19 Apr 1852 Letcher Co Ky d 21 Jan 1888 Letcher Co KY; buried Rich Whitaker Cemetery, Letcher Co KY; Findagrave Memorial; s/o Stephen Whitaker and Lavina Frazier. Isaac D whitaker m. 27 Oct 1874 Letcher Co KY to Matilda Hogg b 13 Oct 1848 Kings Creek, Letcher Co KY d 30 Oct 1918 Letcher Co KY; d/o Kelly Hogg and Mary Ison. Children of Isaac D Whitaker and Matilda Hogg;
1. Julia Whitaker b 18 Jun 1875 d 1963 TX; m. 1895 Letcher Co KY to James D Stamper b 23 Jan 1858 d 16 Mar 1939 TX; s/o Hiram H Stamper and Anna Francis.
2. Frederick Whitaker b 29 Oct 1877 Blackey, Letcher Co KY d 9 Aug 1956 Amarillo, Randall Co TX; m. 27 Nov 1901 Letcher Co KY to Louisa Dixon b 24 Dec 1884 Blackey, Letcher Co KY d 2 Apr 1975; d/o Jeremiah P Dixon and Nancy Jane Caudill.
3. Fess Whitaker b 17 Jun 1880 Rockhouse, Letcher Co KY d 18 Sept 1927 Sandlick, Letcher Co KY as a result of an auto accident; buried Rockhouse, Letcher Co KY; military service, Co L 4th KY Volunteers enlisted 12 Feb 1898; m. Dec 1904 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY to Samantha Ison b 19 Oct 1880 Linefork, Letcher Co KY d 26 Dec 1948; served her late husband's unexpired term as jailer 1928; d/o Jefferson Jeptha Ison and Mary Stamper. While serving as stand in jailer, a lynch mob of about 3000 people took black man, Leonard Wood and hanged him at Pound VA. Fess Whitaker m. about 1900 to (1) Mary Jane Brown b 1880 Letcher Co KY d 3 Jan 1954; buried Smoot Creek, Van, Letcher Co KY; d/o William Tecumseh Brown and Letitia Day. Mary Jane Brown m. 10 Feb 1904 Letcher Co KY to George Washington Collins b 4 Apr 1876 Letcher Co KY d 15 Jan 1933 Tillie, Letcher Co KY; buried Smoot Creek Cemetery, Van, Letcher Co KY; s/o George Washington Collins and Lucinda Bowen. George Washington Collins m. 15 Jan 1900 Tillie, Letcher Co KY to Mary Jane Collins b May 1878 KY d 3 Jan 1954 Smoot Creek, Van, Letcher Co KY; d/o Dolton Collins and Elizabeth Unknown.
4. Little Whitaker b 11 Jun 1883 d 29 Dec 1956
5. Gideon "Gid" Whitaker (dentist) b 21 Aug 1885 d 7 Jul 1967; buried Fields Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. 20 Oct 1907 to Callie Akemon b 19 Nov 1887 d 27 Jan 1971; buried Fields Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY. Child of Gideon "Gid" Whitaker and Callie Akemon; i. Woodrow Whitaker b 1912 d 1967
6. James T Whitaker b 1 Oct 1888 Letcher Co KY d 1958 Letcher Co KY; m. (1) to Nannie Cody b 1882 d 1969; d/o William Penn Cody and Frances Matilda Breeding. James T Whitaker m. 11 Sept 1943 to (2) Cuba Fern Caudill b 13 Feb 1918 Letcher Co KY d 22 Nov 1988 Letcher Co KY; buried Blackey, Letcher Co KY; s/o Sam Macky Caudill and Nancy Ellen Fouts.
Matilda Hogg and
John Henry Frazier
Matilda Hogg b 13 Oct 1848 Kings Creek, Letcher Co KY d 30 Oct 1918 Letcher Co KY; d/o Kelly Hogg and Mary Ison. Matilda Hogg m. 31 Mar 1871 Letcher Co KY to John Henry Frazier b 1845; s/o Esquire Frazier and Phoebe Haney. Child of John Henry Frazier and Matilda Hogg;
1. Susan Frazier b 2 Feb 1872 d 28 Oct 1953; m. 3 Jan 1893 to Grant Ison b 4 May 1867 Letcher Co KY d 13 Apr 1949; s/o Mose Ison and Judy Juda Cornett. Children of Grant Ison and Susan Frazier; i. Herman ISON b 12 May 1894 ii. Blaine Ison 23 Oct 1895 iii. Hobart Ison b 1897
Lexington Herald Leader
Lexington, Fayette Co KY
12 Oct 1932, Wednesday
Letcher Dentist Busy in Spite of Sentence: Whitesburg, KY., Oct. 12 (1932). Dr. "Gid" Whitaker, Whitesburg dentist, sent to jail for 30 days for alleged drunkenness, must serve his sentence, according to dictates of the court. It, however, is not the first time Whitaker has been in jail, having paid fines often behind iron bars.
But, thrifty as he is, Dr. Whitaker will ply his profession right along in the jail. He has been extractin teeth, filling teeth, and doing all the other necessary work required of the modern dentist, and it is not uncommon thing to see his customers wending their way up to the little county bastile to have their dental work done.
Dr. Whitaker is a brother of the late Fess Whitaker, congressional aspirant, who met death in an automobile plunge several years ago. Fess Whitaker, as jailor, became intoxicated, fought officers, and landed in his own jail for six months - thus becoming known as the "jailed jailer." He later was defeated for congress by John W. Langley, Pikeville.